Sunday, May 6, 2012

Fruitful in Love


May 6, 2012
The Rev. Shelby Ochs Owen
John 15:1-8
An audio version of this sermon is available here.
                                                                                                                      
“I am the vine, you are the branches.”

The writers of the Old Testament often refer to Israel as the vine but usually this is not a good thing!  As Jews, Jesus’ disciples would have likely been familiar with the words of scripture where God speaks of Israel as the wild and degenerate vine, the vine which bore no fruit because of its disobedience.  They would likely have known that the lack of fruit was due to Israel’s faithlessness.  Here in John’s gospel Jesus speaks of himself as the true vine. So when the disciples heard Jesus’ words, “I am the true vine” they may have wondered where he was going with this.  

Last week in John Wilkinson’s sermon we heard about another “I am” statement: “I am the good shepherd” and today we reach the last of the “I am” statements in the gospel of John, “I am the true vine.” Throughout this series of “I am’s” John is making a point about the identity of Jesus, that he is divine, and here as Jesus describes his Father as the vinegrower, we are given an image of Jesus’ relationship with the Father.  And then Jesus says, “I am the vine, you are the branches.”  So he moves from his relationship with the Father to his relationship with the disciples.  The vine image seems to be all about connectedness, Jesus’ connectedness to the Father and his connectedness to his disciples.  And in that connectedness, there is life! And in this connected life, there is the fruit of love.

So, to what and how well are we connected these days? We have more ways to be connected to more people these days than ever before.  Our increasingly complex technology gives us exponential opportunities to reach out and to be reached in an amazing and at times disconcerting number of ways.  The internet is a vehicle for connectedness of many sorts ---when everything is working properly!  My family, friends and co-workers know that technology is not really my thing.  I am so appreciative that it can be a vehicle for communicating and building and maintaining relationships but I see it solely as a means to that end and am not really interested in the technology itself, which leaves me pretty helpless at times. 

The other day I am home trying to check my email and nothing seems to be working.  I cry out to my computer literate daughter, “Emily, can you help me?” So, first she asks me, “Have you checked the modem?” I am embarrassed to say, “Uh, I am not sure which thing is the modem?” After checking that and seeing nothing wrong there, she says, well you know it could be the router. “Uh, really? The router you say? Right, the router and which box is that, for crying out loud?”  I go to work and tell someone here my woes and she mentions, “you know it could be your server.”  I notice with each new “could be” I seize up and feel a bit strangled, a bit choked off  in my lack of knowledge, in my inability to make sense of the whole system, but even more frustrated that I feel cut off from those people I want to stay connected to. The means to my end is sputtering.  My computer world could be seen as on a “need-to-know” basis.  The technical computer world has been an area in which I have not chosen to dwell and as a result when things go wrong with the computer, I feel very isolated, not very connected, and certainly not very fruitful.

Abide in me as I abide in you, Jesus says. I am the vine, you are the branches. Those who abide in me and I in them bear much fruit, because apart from me you can do nothing.  Jesus is the source of our life and the source of love.   The fruit we bear is the love we give to others.  This wonderful metaphor of the vine gives us a concrete sign of discipleship, our need to be connected both to the divine as well as other people.  It is because God first loved us that we can possibly love others.  And as we abide or dwell in Jesus we are given the tools, we are equipped to do acts of love for others.  As we abide or dwell in Jesus the source of life and source of love, we find we do indeed bear fruit.

So how do we abide in God, how do we dwell in Jesus?

First, we can begin with belief, begin by actually believing God loves us and being receptive to the goodness of God.  Belief opens us up to the inpouring of the Holy Spirit and helps us welcome the goodness of God, welcome God’s love, welcome the Holy Spirit who is living and active all around us already.

Second, we can continue to abide or dwell in Christ through prayer, certainly including  talking to and listening to God but also in just being present to God, in prayerful reading of scripture, in participating in the sacraments of baptism and Holy Eucharist and in fellowship with others who have faith.

And third, we abide or dwell in Christ when we act, act as living branches of Christ’s love and power.  Our dwelling in Christ does not necessarily have to occur in the order I have just described; for some of us our belief comes after our loving actions and for some it is the reverse. There is no set pattern for the life of faith. 

God is love and wonder of all wonders he has chosen us – you and me- to be his living branches of love in this world.  You and I are loved; God’s love is free flowing toward us and through us not because we are living a perfect life and keeping all the rules just so.  God’s love is free flowing just because that is the very nature of God.  What an amazing privilege to be his living branches in the world, to be connected through the Holy Spirit to this power of love.

So what might be holding up this flow of love with in us?  What is constricting our connection to the vine, our connection to Christ?  What is keeping us from producing the fruit of love?  Might it be pride? Judgmental tendencies? Busyness? A sense that we can live life just fine on our own? There are many things that can keep us from abiding in Jesus.  We all fall short in certain areas of life, we all question at times our purpose, we all wonder sometimes why we are feeling so alone, why we might feel disconnected from God, why we might not be able to connect in love toward our neighbor.  When we sense this isolation can we turn our faces to the source of life, remember that the love of Christ is ALWAYS flowing toward us, and that Jesus has promised that any of us can bear fruit if we abide in him.   “I am the vine. You are the branches.”  Welcome the love of God and love God’s creatures, yourself included!                          Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment