Sunday, September 2, 2012

If it weren't for other people ...


By Susan Peyton

This sermon is based on Deuteronomy 4:1-2, 6-9Psalm 15James 1:17-27, and Mark 7:1-8, 14-15, 21-23

This  week I have been frustrated with people.  There’s the simple things… like someone who emails a question you have already answered.  And they even replied to the email that contains the information.  Or an email asking a question I know that person has the answer to.  Or, ask me about a meeting I didn’t attend, but the other person did.  My crystal ball is still on back order.  But the most frustrating has been one person who consumed hours from 4 different staff people, brought one volunteer to tears, another one may quit, and two other volunteers have also been sucked into the drama.  Then I realize I’m allowing that person the power to control my emotions. Okay Susan, breathe deeply.  And then I read these lessons.  And God in His gentle voice says, Susan, perhaps you should read these lessons a few more times.  I’m not sure you got my message.  And from somewhere, my mother’s voice chimes in, I’m just disappointed in you.  Great.  Now I have loads of guilt added in.  

So here’s my checklist.  Deuteronomy.  Keep God’s commandments, to show how wise and discerning you are.  Need to work on that.

Psalm 15.  Who will be with the Lord?  I don’t think speaking my perception of the truth from my heart is exactly what God is looking for.  And maybe I need to work on the contempt for my neighbor part.  Failed two out of two, not looking so good.  But that’s okay, there’s two more readings to go.

James.  Oops.  Quick to listen, slow to speak, slow to anger; for your anger does not produce God’s righteousness.  Guess I’d better spend a lot more time studying this one.  The Father of lights,  who gave us birth by the word of truth.  Then as good Christians, we should also be a source of light and truth, passing it on to those in need.  Not just listen to God’s word, but then go forth and help the next person.  And to realize that God’s word has no variations or shadows.  The word shadows jumped out at me.  How many times do I try to justify things, allowing it to be “a little bit grey”.  To be just a little bit over the line.  No shadows. God’s words are pretty clear, we are the ones who try to muddle with them.  

Yesterday was the 66th anniversary of my parents’ wedding.  So Mom and Dad have been on my mind a lot.  We have wonderful photographs from the wedding.  Even the two of them kissing in front of the mantle at my grandparents’ house.  With a mirror on top of the mantle.  Mom was somewhat hesitant about people whose names were in the newspaper too much.  Not quite, but almost where your birth announcement, wedding and obituary were all that was needed.  I know she also felt that you shouldn’t look at yourself in mirrors every time you passed one, for that was being vain.  So James’ description of “those who look at themselves in a mirror and immediately forget what they were like” really hit me.  If I look in a mirror, I’ll see that I’m having a bad hair day and I still haven’t lost 50 pounds.  But do I ever look at my reflection and see beyond my physical shell ?  Do I look for a pure heart, someone who brings blessings to others? Caring for those in need?  Do I allow myself to remain unstained by the world?  Do I allow others’ frustrations to color my thoughts? I look at the power of society, the internet, political advertising, songs, the media, and that their words twist the truth, edit someone’s words,  blame or convict those who are innocent.  Poisonous thoughts can spread, no filter of truth to stop them.  Are we accountable for our words and actions?  Do we keep ourselves accountable for our thoughts?  God’s word has the power to save our souls, but are we following His words?  All of them, not just the easy ones?  Whew.  Okay, so I’ve not done well on any of these readings so far.  There’s still hope, Mark’s lesson, maybe?  

As Episcopalians, we love tradition.  Here at Trinity we have amazing stained glass windows, a wonderful pipe organ, the woodwork is carved beautifully, and there’s even brass railings, needlepoint, the altar, vestments, chalices, etc.  Mark is asking us to reflect, have our traditions become more important than the message?  Oh thank goodness, finally a question I can answer the right way.  While our traditions are important, they are here to glorify God and add to our worship, not become the object of our worship.  Wednesday was the last Mass on the Grass of the season.  The setting for that is purely God’s handiwork, surrounded by nature,  with few embellishments.  Definitely a time to glorify God, and not our traditions.  This morning, if I lit the wrong candle first would it disrupt our worship?  If a prayer is left out, will we not be forgiven?  Tonight I’ll go to Fluvanna Correctional Center for Women to help with their monthly communion service.  We’re in a gym, the candles are battery operated, we use Welch’s finest grape juice, and it’s always a question if the loaf of bread can be broken or will it crumble.  Each person’s traditions are different from the person next to them.  It does not matter.  The traditions pale in comparison to God’s gifts to us, and the celebration of Holy Communion.  We are forgiven if we ask.  What is important, following all the rules or rubrics, or being a beacon of God’s light out in the world ? Welcoming all in need, not judging their appearance or practices.  Saying our prayers without listening to the words, or living our covenant with God ?

For me, the weekly Eucharist brings hope.  The hope that I will continue to strive to follow God’s word, the knowledge that He will continue to forgive me, the conviction that together we will continue to do His will out in the world.  And above all, that this isn’t a quiz to pass or fail, but rather a process, a journey with God, one day at a time. Tomorrow, as many of us enjoy a day with our families or other leisurely pursuits, let us think of the invisible, the ones who allow us to take a day off.  Those in the military, fire and rescue, emergency room, garbage collectors, convenience and grocery store workers.  And in a few months, those who fix the downed electrical or phone lines, plow our roads.

And this coming week, I will try to stop at every mirror, look into my soul, and pray that I will be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to anger.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment