Monday, May 13, 2013

Youth Sunday Sermon by Coalter Hollberg


This sermon is based on John 17:20-26. Click here to listen to an audio version of this sermon

In John chapter 17 verse 20 Jesus prays for the disciples and in a way he is praying for us. He was praying for the next generation to pass on the word of God, and the idea that God is in Christ and Christ is in everyone. The word has been passed on generation to generation until it has come to us. The disciples learned from example as the youth have learned through our years growing up in Trinity.

The Honduras Mission trip was a wonderful way for the love of Christ to go on to the next generation. We had dedicated leaders to follow; I don’t think anyone worked harder than Ted, Mike, or Oakley. Our leaders showed us how to selflessly give time helping others. Beyond spreading the good news of Christ, nothing brings people together quite like digging a trench during the rainy season.

Trinity’s sense of Community is evident in the fellowship between the youth and our youth leaders who guided us from Godly play to senior high. Only last year I had procrastinated on an application and forgotten to get a recommendation. I planned to apply for Lee’s chapter of the National Honor Society for a long time, but instead I had chosen to dance with the deadline. I called Wendy and she was enthusiastic and as helpful as always even though it was last minute and I am sure it was inconvenient to say the least. Why would Wendy write me a recommendation the day before the deadline? My best guess is because of the fellowship and selfless giving which is evident at Trinity. The recommendation was great by the way!

I am proud and honored to be part of Trinity’s family and I would not be here without the Church’s support and guidance. As Jesus said “That they all may be one; as thou, father, art in me, and I in thee, that they may be one in us.” Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment