Monday, July 22, 2013

The Word of the Lord

by the Rev. John D. Lane

This sermon is based on Amos 8:11-12 & Luke 10:39.

The time is surely coming, says the Lord GOD, when I will send a famine on the land; not a famine of bread, or a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the LORD. They shall wander from sea to sea, and from north to east; they shall run to and fro, seeking the word of the LORD, but they shall not find it.

[Martha] had a sister named Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet and listened to what he was saying.

Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans and the Gulf coast of Mississippi nearly 8 years ago. Thinking about such storms brought to mind the following story which you may already know:

A big storm was coming to a low-lying area, and people were warned they should evacuate. Almost everyone heeded the warning but one man, Rick, who had ridden out a number of storms before, refused to go. A few hours later as the water began to flood the road, a sheriff’s deputy knocked on the door, “It’s time to leave. The storm is coming for sure, and it’s gonna be a bad one. Come with me while I can still drive out of here.”

          “Thanks, but I’ll stay. I have faith; the Lord will protect me.”

A few hours later, the water had come up to the second floor balcony of the man’s home, where he stood watching the sky. A rescue team came by in a boat. “You need to leave now. Get in the boat, and we’ll take you out of danger.”

          “Thanks, but I’ll stay. I have faith; the Lord will protect me.”

A while later, the water had risen even higher, almost to the top of the house, and Rick was standing on the peak of the roof. A helicopter was flying low over the area, and spotted him below holding on for dear life. A rescue worker came down on a rope, and said, “You’re the last person still here. Your house will be entirely underwater in a short time. I’ll hook you on to the rope and you’ll be pulled up into the chopper.”

          “Thanks, but I’ll stay. I have faith; the Lord will protect me.”

The waters rose, the house disappeared below the surface and washed away. Rick drowned. He went to heaven, but he was really mad when he met Saint Peter. “I had total faith in you. I’ve trusted in you completely since I was a young boy. A big flood came, and I prayed for help, and what happened? Nuttin’! That’s what!”

Saint Peter said, “Well, I don’t know what happened either. We sent a police car, a boat, and a helicopter, and you drowned nonetheless. What went wrong?”

Prayer can be answered in a variety of ways, by a variety of means. We pray to the Lord for help, and he may delegate the responsibility to someone else. In the same way, the word of the Lord can come to us in a whole assortment of ways.

Many people turn to the Bible to discover the word of the Lord. It is, however, a long book, and different people get different things from it. There are moving and profound stories and passages in the Bible, but they often don’t have as much effect as music. A particularly wonderful hymn can bring tears to my eyes. A particularly awful hymn can also bring tears to my eyes, but for a different reason.

The time is surely coming, says the Lord GOD, when I will send a famine on the land; not a famine of bread, or a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the LORD. They shall wander from sea to sea, and from north to east; they shall run to and fro, seeking the word of the LORD, but they shall not find it.

[Martha] had a sister named Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet and listened to what he was saying.

Mary was lucky. She was able to sit quite literally at Jesus’ feet, and hear every word and nuance of his teaching. The prophet Amos talks about a different reality, a famine of hearing the words of the Lord. Though a very old book, its warnings sound disturbingly contemporary. Many of us seem to be running on treadmills, overwhelmed by outside stimuli and unable to filter the important from the frivolous. As Thoreau put it, “Most men live lives of quiet desperation.” Today, it might be noisy desperation. It’s important to remember, however, that Thoreau, the prophet of getting away from it all, built his cabin a half mile from his mother’s house. Sounds a little like a couple of 10 year-olds pitching their tent in the back yard.

The word of the Lord can indeed come to us through the Bible and through prayer and contemplation. I think for me it often comes through the lives of others. My parents were good people, humble people. Until my mother was unable to get out of the house, they were in church every single Sunday. They went the extra mile in their jobs and in the community. I didn’t realize it at the time, but by watching them I heard the word of the Lord. And as Yogi Berra said, “You can observe a lot just by watchin’.”

My greatest clergy mentor was the rector of the parish where I worked during seminary. The parish was in Spanish Harlem, and he was the only Episcopal priest in Harlem who lived next door to the church. Everyone else lived in Westchester County. He knew all about every member of the parish, a community of Christians made up of welfare recipients, multi-millionaires, and everyone in between. It was a very special place, and the Reverend Frank Voelcker was the one who made it special. He was gay, which has affected my position on such issues ever since. Look and listen to the word of the Lord.

Our son Andrew provided many life lessons for the rest of the family. We prayed a lot. We didn’t get what we prayed for, but we did come to recognize Andrew as our special blessing. By his life he taught us the word of the Lord. And Bizzy who devoted her life to taking care of Andrew taught me a lot about God’s love.

We both have been inspired by a special friend who has been around for over 100 years, Mary Artis Dennis. I’ve never heard her say anything mean about anyone. Now there’s a lesson for all of us. Call it the word of the Lord.

And speaking of Dennis, many of us were touched deeply by the life of Dennis Case. As someone wrote in the Trinity Tribune, Dennis had an unusual way of ending a telephone conversation. He just hung up. When I was reminded of that in the Tribune, I thought his life ended suddenly. Like one of his phone calls, there was no goodbye.

The Christian faith emphasizes incarnation, and that includes those who bring us the word of the Lord through their lives, transparently lived in front of us all. Think back on those who have influenced you. And don’t forget to take a look around. You might have been sitting at Jesus’ feet without realizing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment